I’ve only finished 20% of an essay due in 17 hours so I’m bitter about life but let me preach to everyone about “Wagon Wheel.”
If you’ve ever even glanced at the Old Crow Medicine Show tag on this website you notice a couple of things:
1. There’s a whole lotta “Wagon Wheel”
2. There’s a whole lotta people sayin’ the same shit about covers of “Wagon Wheel”
And if you’re an involved Old Crow fan you’ll notice:
1. The Grammy win doesn’t come up often
2. There isn’t a lot of weeping that is undercut by an understanding of internal band needs because Willy is gone
3. There isn’t a lot of “Yay Cory left Jack White for a lil bit and is back with his bluegrass brotha, bless you Cory Younts” posts
4. There is no discussion of the fact that Ketch Secor is classically good looking enough to be a 90s teen drama star (a la Dawson’s Creek)
BUT HEY I’M MENTIONING ALL THIS NOW SO THE OLD CROW TAG IS ON THE UP
Let me start by saying that OCMS are one of my favourite bands that has ever graced the face of this fair Earth (you might have guessed from the fan girlin’ just north of this here paragraph) but “Wagon Wheel” is down the bottom of my list of favourite Old Crow songs. Yes, I like that tune, but have you guys heard the rest of their albums? There is some ace album tracks on those suckers, and really, “Wagon Wheel” kinda gets lost in among all the dope as hell fiddle, harmonica and banjo solos, the euphemisms and, well, the dope references.
Though I’m a bit “meh” with “Wagon Wheel” most days, I’d like to inform you that you aren’t the first person to get pissed that someone thinks “Wagon Wheel” is a Darius Rucker original.
Join the club kids, we have mason jars and lighters.
But what we must accept is that Old Crow sung a duet with that man and gave him permission to cover that sucker so deal with it, it’s the way the cookie crumbles.
There are some people in the world that don’t know that Sinead O’Conner’s “Nothing Compares 2 U” is actually a Prince song, and that Bruce Springsteen wrote the Pointer Sister hit, “Fire” and does a far superior version and that gets me a little pissed but I move on with my life.
Also, note all the unique snowflakes out there who point out “Wagon Wheel” is a Bob Dylan song. Wrong-o again, partner. Bob wrote the chorus and the rest was Ketch. Bob even says it’s an Old Crow song and what Bob says goes.
Also Cory Younts posted this on his instagram so I feel like we can all accept it and move on now yeah? Cool.
Go pick up an Old Crow album that isn’t self-titled, drink a bottle of ya favourite alcoholic beverage, dance a little, then post about that.
Love, cuban heels and good times bbys,